Author Topic: on Flyer to have downloaded (part d)  (Read 1881 times)

admin

on Flyer to have downloaded (part d)
« on: September 29, 2009, 05:44:19 PM »

Worker Bee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Don't underestimate...    
or insult the intelligence of the patients! Many of them are FAR more aware of what is going on than you may know. They just do not say much of anything because they are fully aware of the possibility of retaliation by the unit/company. <
> I think the flyer puts in a nutshell what DEO has done, is doing and has stood for the past 4 years. <
>Also you have to realize that many of the older patients may not have access to a computer. They need to know the information given in the flyer so that if they run into problems, they have a place to turn to. <
>The information may also get patients to asking questions and start looking for more information and education. This has been a goal of DEO from the begining. The industry hates being questioned!

LuLuW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: not a matter of intelligence    
I certainly meant no disrespect to anyone's intelligence. I was merely pointing out what experience has shown me through the years. PR materials need to be kept concise, not because people are unintelligent, but moreso because people tend to read in tidbits. You're absolutely right about some of the older patients not having access to the website. That is a valid concern, particularly since the organization is without any other forum at the present time. Just remember, by and large, most people shy away from controversy and confrontation.

aprnjam

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Flyer    
I've been playing around with the flyer, trying to get the readability index down to about the 8th grade. I've gotten it down to the 10th grade level. I'm trying to summarize everyone's comments so I can incorporate them. I agree that most people will only read 4-5 points. Redman (2001) in The Practice of Patient Education points out these facts. As I understand it, we have one vote to delete 4, 5, and 6. Or is there something else that should be deleted insted?<
><
>If we cut the amount of text, we can add graphics that will catch the eye of the reader. Again, reseach has shown that people will pick up something and look at it if it has pictures on it that are pleasing to the eye or are intesting to look at. Any suggestions for graphics to add? Should it be a kidney? I searched some of the free sites and the picutes of orgrans weren't that great. We can purchase one (I'll willing to pay for it) so that we don't violate any copyright laws. I have a collection of over 1000 free gifs that I used when I was teaching, with no copyright restrictions that might be useful, one is of a peson on a soapbox, some of nurses, an old lady dancing, a train, a wagon drawn by horses, etc. If somone wants to suggest some, I likely have something close. I just haven't figured out how to post them from my file. If someone knows how to do that and lt me know, that would also be great. Or is there a way that I can attach the document? Does anyone want to work with me on it and e-mail back and forth?

Again

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: I agree    
too wordy. I would definitely cut it down, but would have to give thought to what all to include. As far as graphics, for one thng, I love the DEO logo. It has defnitely become recognizable to the public who come to the board. Incidentally, who designed it?

FRN

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Revised flyer    
Have just sent off a revision of the flyer to Arlene. Was able to put a simple border on it and a nice heading with highlights of lead off sentances and key words. Also combined the 7 point into just 5. It all fits on 1 page but for some reason the border and heading will not transfer to e-mail or this site. Hopefully our web master can get it on the board for us soon.<
> As to a logo, I was thinking about 2 kidneys facing each other in a heart shape. Anyone an artist out there?

Dialysis ethics

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Flyers    
Lets get these posted and lets vote on the changes. We have help and they are ready to go. We will be doing a conference call and educate the volunteers who will hand these out. Many of the volunteers know patients on dialysis and all of a sudden, a light bulb went off and they are ready to move.<
><
>I do think that between all of them, we will have a great flyer. I do believe that it needs to be maybe a combination..what do you think? Old logo, new logo, same logo? This is something else that we need to decide on.But we do need to shorten it up. <
><
>But I feel the forward movement and the fact that we need to get to a decision quickly.<
><
>

aprnjam

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Revised flyer    
I'm willing to work on the flyer and get put all the changes together and do the graphics. But I need to see what changes everyone has done. I agree with a conference call, or maybe a Yahoo IM chat where we could have a "free" conference call. If everyone who has been working on the document send me what you have, I'll put it together and post it to the website (without graphics, cause I still haven't figured out to post them to the website). What does everyone think? We got some interest going and we should roll with while we've got it going. My e-mail is: djmeador1@iglide.net. I've got lots of experience doing this type of thing and I'm willing to put it all together, if everyone will send me what they have. Joyce

aprnjam

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Revised flyer    
FRN, I've also been working on it, and I would like to compare what you've done with what I've done. I've added some fancy borders, graphics to catch the eye. I don't want to repeat what you've done. Can you e-mail a copy of what you have done. My e-mail address is: djmeador1@iglide.net. Thanks. I'm really excited about getting this out to the patients.

Marty

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Flyer Question    
Once the flyer is completed I was thinking of buying a page ad and having it put in some area papers; anyone know of any reason I shouldn't do this?

To Marty

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Word will get out    
Thats a great idea.

FRN

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Flyer    
I sent the revised flyer to Arlene via snail mail as the graphics I put on it would not transfer to E-mail or to the site. It should be up this week and then we can go from there with other revisions or suggestions. I am still learning lots about my computer and all it's bells and whistles.
"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy