Author Topic: on Flyer to have downloaded (part b)  (Read 1886 times)

admin

on Flyer to have downloaded (part b)
« on: September 29, 2009, 05:45:54 PM »

realdialysisethics

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: comments    
The flyers will be distributed outside of the unit. This group have volunteered to help out. They are use to distributing flyers in the communities and are effective. <
>

will this

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: group    
hand the flyers to the patients with a word of explanation or just hand it to them? Maybe they shouldn hand it to them on the way in. On the way out they will have dialysis dementia.

Founding RN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Flyer Content    
We are trying to keep this flyer to just one page so that it is easy to print off and for cost. What was written takes up the whole page and I really pushed the edges to the edge! If anyone thinks we need to cut something and add something else, then please suggest away.

LuLuW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: We need funding    
Unfortunately, we're going to need to really be effective. We need to look for philanthropists and organizations who'd be interested in funding our interests. Anyone experienced with non-profit orgs? Where do we start? Lawyers?

aprnjam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Flyer    
Great first start. There are a lot of redundant phrases that could be polished up and cut down the size and leave room for some graphics, which would add to the appeal and catch the reader's eye. It's also written at at 12th grade level, 80% of the people in the US read at the 6th grade level or below, so it needs to be run through a readability index to ensure that everyone can read it and understand it.<
><
>I used to teach in a BSN program and one of my classes was teaching patient education and how to write patient education materials and how to apply readability indexes. Most patient education materials are written at the college level, since this will be placed in dialsysis unit's where patient's will be reading it, it needs to be at the proper reading level. I'd be happy to work on that part of it if you would like.<
><
>As far as funding goes, you can go to drug companies and request grants. They have all kinds of money for patient education materials. You can request small amounts ($250-500) from a local drug rep and get that with no problem at all (say the Epo rep). All you have to do is give credit at the bottom (Funded by a grant by and they are happy campers. I can also contact some of my drug rep contacts and see how far we can get with them as well if you would like. There are all kinds of way to raise money for patient education materials. One side could be dedicated to the use of a particular medication and the other to the DE. Works like a charm with them.

plugger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: looking good!    
I like this! It summarizes very well what this organizaton is about. I also decided it would fit very well into my Intro to Dialysis site for those who may care about the issues, so I put a link to it under my Write Congress link. sky.prohosting.com/cschwab/

LuLuW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: I don't know about the drug companies....    
Do you really think they'd be interested in funding our efforts when they are making so much money off of dialysis as is? Hmmm, would be interesting to see. I was thinking maybe we could try to get a cele
ity spokesperson or something, and maybe start holding some fundraisers similar to what the diabetes, AIDS and
east cancer orgs do. With ESRD being so prevelant, surely there are cele
ities who have been personally affected.

Worker Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reading level    
I have had many patients tell me that they are insulted by the simpistic level that many of the educational materials are written in. Because of that many do not even bother to look at them. I have to agree as having looked at this stuff, it really is insulting. Personally I think an 8th grade or a bit higher level would be appropriate. Most patients I work with have a high school education. What do the rest of you think?

yes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: not too high    
too low.. just clear all American lingo lol!

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy