Author Topic: Pct Certification  (Read 1852 times)

admin

Pct Certification
« on: September 30, 2009, 07:21:11 PM »
Dave

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Pct Certification   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have gone through the training for a major company to become a pct. I have been shown all the protocols but none of the reasoning behind what I'm doing. Patients ask me questions and I can't even answer them. Where can I get a true education as a pct in a college? And what do I need to do to get national certification? Where do I get the materials to study for cert.? 

leadsag

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Kidney School   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might try the KidneySchool.org website for a starting place. 

Lin

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Bookstores   

have available dialysis technician/pct manuals that will tell you all you need to know. Try also Amazon.com Lin. 

BE

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Study Material   

I would first look at the National Association of Nephrology Technicians web site (www.dialysistech.org/). I would also look at the BONENT web site (www.goamp.com/bonent/). They offer certification testing. For study materials I would use the NANT study guide. They also have a study manual that has over 500 questions. Also, Gutch and Stoner has a dialysis manual. Daquidas is also good but more advanced. And last Dialysis Therapy by Nissenson and Fine. Attending any local seminar is also a benefit. This is how most dialysis professionals increase their knowledge base. 

ridgerunner

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: education   

the most important thing is to decide what you want. a good source is HDCN. but to get a good understanding you must understand how the body works this involves taking some basic courses in organic chemistry then some courses in the health sciences. when you understand how the body functions then you can understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. 

aprnjam

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: education   

Rigderunner, I agree wholeheartedly on the chemistry classes, but the person who is going to provide care to the dialysis patient also needs in-depth classes in pathophysiology, microbiology, and pharmacology. The good nurse, or technician, should be able to tie what they learn in chemistry (organic) with how chemistry affects the pathophysiology of the body, and most importantly, one has to consider the drugs, and supplements that a patient takes. Organic chemistry is an excellent start, but the person who works in the dialysis unit also needs the other classes as well.<
><
>In my nursing program, we began with one year of chemistry the first year of the 4 year program, the second year of the program, we then took a year of microbiology and pathophysiology and pharmacology. We also took psychology and sociology during the 2nd year. Then we took the upper nursing classes where we actually had hands on nursing training.<
><
>In grad school, I was required to take an additional year of pathophysiology, which was even more in-depth, and pharmacology. This was where everything actually began to come together, the chemistry, the intense pathophysiology, and how pharmacology affects the functions of the body. This is why my stance is that each dialysis unit NEEDS a master's prepared nurse, preferably a nurse practitioner, as the charge nurse, to ensure that those working under this person can provide the proper education to the patients and the patients will have a properly educated source to go to answer any questions that they may have. In my opinion, an AA RN should act in the capacity of a technician, and BSN prepared nurses should also be in unit to do what they are trained to do, manage the clinic and provide patient education. I do not mean to downgrade the AA RN's who have gone the extra mile and have learned all they need to learn on their own. But there are many, who assume that they have learned all they need to know in their program, and resent BSN and MSN prepared nurses. The AA RN's who have gone the extra mile need to be commended and encouraged to return to school to obtain their BSN degrees and continue to move forward with their educations. The other's need to realize their limitations and understand that they have not learned all that they need to know to care for patients in a dialysis unit. Instead of trying to bluff the job, they need to obtain the required education. Education never stops, it continues everyday of your life. If you allow yourself to stop learning, then you have stagnated in your life and profession. Just my 2 cents worth, again. 

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy