Author Topic: Procedure Manual  (Read 1871 times)

admin

Procedure Manual
« on: September 30, 2009, 07:31:46 PM »
patch

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:00 am    Post subject: Procedure Manual   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dialyze with a big name company. A tech was aggravated with another tech, because she helped get me on, but then did not follow procedures with the way she prepared my access. The co. procedure is to first swab the access with alchohol and then betadine, but she skipped the alchohol. It made me wonder if there is a procedure manual that states how staff should be doing their job. They want patients to be compliant with their tx, but are staff compliant with how they deliver the tx? 

ridgerunner

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: procedures   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

patch let me give a tip i have always followed i clean my access very good with soap and water. the other things are fine but the most important thing is to keep your access clean and nothing is better than a lot of soap and water. i have never had an infection. alcohol will not steralize a dirty access. 

Founding RN

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: To Patch   

Ridgerunner is right! Washing your own access with plain old soap and water is the best way to prevent an infection. And it is something you can do for yourself.<
>Each company has their own procedure manuals but you will find that each company and sometimes even the units have their own ways of doing things. Doesn't mean it is wrong, but this is where we need standards of care to standardize proceedures so we are not comparing apples with oranges. 

"Like me, you could.....be unfortunate enough to stumble upon a silent war. The trouble is that once you see it, you can't unsee it. And once you've seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing,becomes as political an act as speaking out. Either way, you're accountable."

Arundhati Roy